Mayla McKenna Lohnes
Entertainment Public Relations | Social Media Marketing | Event Planning
"I am excited for a career in Public Relations, that allows me to combine my love for film, music and pop culture, with my passions for writing and creating."
Professional Work Experience
Associate Short Films Programmer
Newport Beach Film Festival | Sept. 2020 - Present | Newport Beach, CA
Currently, I volunteer remotely as an Associate Shorts Programmer for The Newport Beach Film Festival. My responsibilities include watching and reviewing over 300 submitted short films, directly recruiting filmmakers to submit their recent films to our festival, and moderating the Youth Program. I also oversee the Shorts email account and respond to any and all necessary emails.
Public Relations Intern
JV Agency | Aug. 2020 - Dec. 2020 | Los Angeles, CA
JV Agency is a music marketing agency specializing in creating successful brands and campaigns for their artists. I was the Public Relations Intern, working primarily remotely, with weekly in-person meetings in Los Angeles. I assisted in keeping track of artist schedules, inputting them in Google Calendar, and updating master lists through Microsoft Excel and Google Spreadsheets. I also created pitches and press releases for each artist, while researching the best outlets to pitch to.
Public Relations/Marketing Intern
Newport Beach Film Festival | Jan. 2020 - March 2020 | Newport Beach, CA
Before the pandemic hit, I was the Public Relations and Marketing Intern for The Newport Beach Film Festival. While interning, I learned valuable skills in networking, strong organization, phone etiquette, and anticipating the needs of others before it was asked of me. I accompanied the Co-Founder and Marketing Director on executive meetings with other public relations professionals, event planners, and executive staff. I took detailed notes and gave my professional feedback when asked.
Spotlight Event | Social Media Coordinator
Newport Beach Film Festival | Jan. 2018 - May 2018 | Newport Beach, CA
As the Spotlight Event Coordinator, I assisted in executing the Australian Spotlight at the 2018 Newport Beach Film Festival. With the help of my team, we sold our goal of 300 tickets and partnered with The American Australian Association. On the social media side, I was responsible for creating professional and engaging content for our followers on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Our content was well-received, and we increased our social media followers by 30%.
My attention to detail is one of my strongest qualities.
Communication is key to create profound results.
- Executed Newport Beach Film Festival spotlight event
- Contacted potential partners and sponsors via phone and email, using Inside Sales Marketing
Social Media Marketing
- Increased social media followers by 30% on Instagram and Facebook, for Newport Beach Film Festival Spotlight
- Created Instagram content for live streams with JV Agency, engaging new and existing followers
Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Maintain strong email organization, and scheduling, using Microsoft Outlook
- Organized master lists using Microsoft Excel
- Created monthly reports using PowerPoint
- Proficient in Google Docs, Calendar, Sheets, Gmail, and Gmass
- Scheduled artist events and Zoom meetings through Google Calendar
- Sent out multiple pitches weekly through Gmass
- Created press releases and reports, using Google Docs
- Created weekly e-newsletters for 300 students and club members at CSUF
- Inputted over 300 contacts using Microsoft Excel and transferred to MailChimp
Basic Adobe Creative Cloud
- Basic knowledge in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Proficient in Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader